2007年10月25日 星期四

朱靜芳--My Comprehensive English Enhancement Plan

My Comprehensive English Enhancement Plan for 2007-2008 School Year


My Comprehensive English Enhancement Plan for 2007-2008 School Year

1.Try TOEFL iBTest at lease once(Damned, the test costs almost 140$ for just sigh it up. Besides the expenses of books and other things are also economic problems:( It might be better to try it again AFTER i get a part-time job.)
2.Get satisfying grades in both English and Communication classes( Can somebody plz tell me why they chose "Mosaic" and "Summit" as texts?Just be curious, truly.)

To achieve my ambitions, i've tried to study English everyday. So far it seems achieveable but i'm too lazy. As a freshman, i have too many extracurricular activities but haven't find a way to take after both sides. Hope this situation will be improved=_=

In English subjest people always separate it into four sections: Reading, listening, speaking and writing. I consider reading as my best language skill 'cause i've read more( Uh, maybe.) When i was in senior high i did read two to three series of fan-fictions, which improves my language skill lots in a short period. So to read some interesting English novels shall be a fitting way for me(i prefer Stephen King's than HP series 'cause JKR's killed too many of my favorite characters.)

Also, as a daily work, I shall read some articles from global media like Voice of American, NYT, CNN......etc. One article a day with Podcast or online boardcast can also improve listening skill(In fact, the articles from above media are too hard for me, on the contrary Students' Post, Ivy and StudioClassroom are too boring=.= So as a considered consequence, i may choose the former. It may waste lots of my time to consult dictionary, makes me fail in explaining the meanings and be confused by some complex clauses.But at lease more attractive.)

Talking about my speaking, even though my senior high teacher, who comes from South Africa, thought i speak fluently. I know that I actually speak too fast and unclearly, pronouncing too many words in incorrect way. To recite every word when i was reading articles or memerizing words, following some speaking records shall be effective ways. But i haven't tried them yet.

In listening, I have watched England Premier League and Champions League every week. I even download the full game if i cannot watch it on time. Also i read some football columns from BBC and watch BBC's football program "Match of the Day." Enthusiasm about football hopes me keep in using English language. But as soon as i understand most of football terms, those matches and programs cannot improve
my listening skill anymore. By this some ordinary American dramas like "Friends" might be a nice alternative choise.

Finally it comes writing, my worst language skill in English(It's shall be obvious,ha.) A main problem in writing essay is that i don't have a strong sense in systematical and logical paragraph development. In this semester i've attended rhetoric and guided writing class as a auditor. So far the instructor has given some homework to do, but i realized that it's not enough by complete the exercises in text books. Possibly i need to write down an composition every week and find a guy to correct it=.=Seems hopeless, damned.

Prepare for TOEFL test, now i review my handbook of 7000 essential words for high school students, and a reference book of vocabulary which's recommended by lots of net pals. I didn't get the Kaplan's reference books and TOEFL official guide yet but plan to borrow or buy them.

Now what i extremely need is a writing corrector.

Ps.following are some useful websites for TOEFL preparation, hope they are benefit to classmates:

http://www.chasedream.com/ 追夢網(大陸)
http://www.ets.org/ ETS本站
http://toeflsim.net/ TOEFL sim
http://bbs.taisha.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=71 太傻論壇(大陸)

沒有留言: